Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Spend it All


In my last post, I talked about what it means to intercede for others, what it means to truly be a servant, as Christ calls us to be, to those around us. However, in a few of the verses from Philippians 2 that I have recently studied, Paul tells us to what extent we are to give ourselves for those around us.

Most of us have grown up with the concept, “Yes, I’m supposed to serve those around me, but only to an extent. I need to take some time for me too, you know. I’m not supposed to give all of my strength and energy. I need to reserve that for others things that I might need it for later on.”

This is not the pattern of Jesus, nor of Paul.

Philippians 2: 15-16 says, “…children of God without fault in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world, holding fast the word of life, so that I may rejoice in the day of Christ that I have not run in vain or labored in vain. Yes, and if I am being poured out as a drink offering on the sacrifice and service of your faith, I am glad and rejoice with you all.”

“To run” here means to “exert one’s self, to spend one’s strength in performing or attaining something, incur extreme peril, which it requires the exertion of all one's effort to overcome.”

The word “labor” means to basically spend yourself to the point of exhaustion.
“Poured out as a drink offering” also means to, “one whose blood is poured out in violent death for the cause of God.”

This is the extent that we are commanded to pour out our lives for those around us. Paul held nothing back when he said that he offered himself for the Philippians. He spent every last ounce of strength that he had, even having to overcome extreme peril, in order that the Philippians might have their faith strengthened and built up. He gave himself to the point of exhaustion for these people. And, he was even willing to pour out his life as martyr for them!

It’s amazing to me what he says right after talking about being poured out as a drink offering. He says that he is exceedingly joyful along with them all! Spending himself and pouring out his life as a servant for those around him wasn’t some dourly duty Paul had to do. It was his extreme joy!

This pattern is modeled by Christ Himself.

“Hereby we perceive the love of God, because He laid down His life for us, and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren.” I John 3: 16

Isaiah 53: 12 says that Jesus “poured out his soul unto death.

I once heard a man say, “You should go to bed every night utterly exhausted because you have spent every last ounce of your strength for those around you during the day.” I think this captures the life of a Christian very well.

We must trust that Jesus will provide all the strength that we need (Matthew 6: 25-33). He will give us everything we need, but not to spend on ourselves but for those around us.  This is the great joy and delight of a Christian!

No comments:

Post a Comment