Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Wisdom: Resting in Jesus



          For the past week or so, I have found myself praying a lot for wisdom. Because of circumstances and just by His grace, I have been realizing how much I truly need wisdom. If left to myself, I fail and mess up the decisions in my life. No matter how “small” a decision may seem to be, I want to know God’s plan and God’s purpose for it. I don’t want to make it myself. He knows far better than I do what is good for me! Even if He laid out all the options and said, “Krista, you can choose,” I’d fall flat on my face and say, “Jesus, You choose! You know me far better than I do!”

          What was interesting was last night I got an email from a friend ,who is serving in Haiti, asking her friends to pray that she would have wisdom about how to relate to the children and showcase Jesus to them. A little while later, I was reading in Proverbs 9, and this really stood out to me:

Wisdom says, “Come, eat of my bread, and drink of the wine which I have mingled. Forsake the foolish and live; and go in the way of understanding.” Vs. 5-6

It really stood out to me that this is the Gospel!  It parallels so well to I Corinthians 11: 24-25:

And when He had given thanks, He broke it, and said, ‘Take, eat. This is my body, which is broken for you; this do in remembrance of Me. After the same manner also He took the cup, when He had supped, saying, ‘This cup is the new testament in My blood. This do, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of Me.’”

We partake of His body as our own, thus receiving His strength and all that He is. We partake of His blood, receiving His life. Then, in return, we give Him our body and blood, to do with as He wants.

So, how does one get true wisdom? By partaking of Jesus. Jesus is Wisdom (I Corinthians 1:30). If we want to really have wisdom, we simply need to get IN Jesus. He is all the Wisdom we need. And, it not’s a super-complicated formula or something we have to try to brainstorm. We simply give Him all that we are and allow Him to give us all He is. Wisdom will be a natural result.

What should I do when I need to make a decision and want wisdom for it? Seek Jesus. He is faithful.

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, and the knowledge of the holy is understanding.” Proverbs 9:10

       In the Greek translation of the Old Testament, the word “knowledge” is translated as “ginosko.” Ginosko is the intimate knowing, like as between a husband and wife, where they are so close that they learn everything about one another.
True wisdom and understanding are simply by-products of knowing Jesus intimately. Oh, how I long to know Him better! So, next time when you have to make a decision, don’t stress out about it (I’ve tried it; it doesn’t work!). Simply seek Jesus, and He’ll reveal what you need to know.


No comments:

Post a Comment