Monday, March 9, 2015

Lessons Learned during a Winter Storm

So I have a confession to make, though it probably won’t come as a surprise to those who know me even relatively well: 

I really don’t like the season of winter. In fact, I could probably get along just fine without cold weather at all. To add to my distaste for winter, Kentucky had two particularly bad winter storms this season. The first resulted in college classes being cancelled for a week (that hadn't happened since the 1990s!) and us being snowed in for a majority of that time. The second one occurred a week later after it had rained all day previously, so the roads were not able to be salted. Because of this, the roads were in terrible condition, and even the major interstate was partially shut down for a time (with people having to spend the night in their cars).

However, even though, I do not care for the winter season all that much, I am grateful that I live in a place that has seasons. Because even though winter is a hard season for me, it makes me incredibly grateful for spring. And the Lord used this season of winter to teach me a few lessons that I thought I would share with you all.

There is a season to everything (Ecclesiastes 3:1). The first day that actually felt warm and that the end of winter was in sight was yesterday. I was reminded of the verse in Psalm 30:5 that states, “Weeping may endure for a night, but joy comes in the morning.” And according to James 1, trials are going to come in this life. However, they are not going to last forever. So, even though you may be called to a season of waiting or a season of trial, tribulation, or even just pain that doesn't seem like it’s ever going to end, remember that it is a season. Morning always comes after night; joy always comes after weeping!

Lessons are learned during the hard seasons that cannot be learned during seasons of ease or comfort. For example, winter is beneficial for a number of reasons.

“In agriculture, a big snowpack helps insulate the ground, gives the soil plenty of water in the warmer months, and can help protect crops like berries and fruit. Severe cold also keeps bugs and bacteria at bay that can attack fields in the summer (Greg Mercer, Waterloo Region Record).” A long winter leads to a greener summer.

James 1 declares that there is a purpose to trial. “The testing of your faith produces endurance.” And we must not cut it short because “let endurance have its perfect result, so that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.” The winter storms gave me time to catch up on homework, relax during a stressful semester, reflect, and just enjoy time with my housemates.

I also learned that circumstances are the result of God’s sovereign hand, and I need to accept them as His purpose for my life. A verse that my housemates and I dwelt on during this time was 1 Thessalonians 5: 18, “In everything give thanks, for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.” I can be grateful no matter what circumstance I am in because I know that He is working all things together for His glory and my good (Romans 8:28).

So even though I may not have enjoyed the cold weather or foot and a half of snow that kept us inside, as I reflect on this past winter, I'm grateful. I'm grateful that this physical world illustrates spiritual concepts and teaches us lessons. I'm grateful that even though we are not called to ease or comfort, there is a promise of joy and life to be had in the midst of such times. And I'm thankful that Jesus is unchanging and faithful no matter what situation I find myself in. 









No comments:

Post a Comment