Tuesday, October 7, 2014

What sustains you?

This morning, I read a verse that always causes me to stop and simply meditate upon the rich words contained therein.

“You will keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on You because he trusts in You. Trust in the Lord forever, for in the Lord Jehovah is everlasting strength.” Isaiah 26: 3-4

The word “stayed” literally means to lean upon, support, trust in, sustain. In this frazzled world where I feel, at times, that I’m running around like a crazy person throughout the day, God gives a promise for perfect peace. Most people would tell you this is impossible, that no person can actually have perfect peace throughout the day.

I would tell you that it depends on what your focus is, who/what your support is, and where you’re putting your trust in.

We’ve been trained in our culture to turn to media and other people when we are stressed out and just need a break. I find this to be a temptation in my own life. When I have been completely stressed about homework, the pile of assignments that need to be turned in, or a long day at work, it is a temptation to go home and just veg out in front of a movie. However, this does not provide true refreshment. Real peace is available.

1 Corinthians 15:58 commands us to be immovable. It doesn’t say, “Be immovable, except when… (you’re stressed out because of school, work, etc). It simply says to be immovable. And if God commands us to do something, it means that He provides what we need to do it. So, what if we chose instead to focus our minds upon Jesus, to lean upon Him for our support? What if we chose to let Jesus sustain us instead of turning to other things?

A week or two ago God revealed something incredible to me. I had been feeling overwhelmed because of the homework and assignment load that this semester required of me. It did not seem as though I would have the time to get it all done. However, He showed me that since this is what He has called me to for this season, He literally must provide all that I need.


Therefore, I choose to simply rest in His promise. I choose to fix my mind upon Jesus. He has my life under control, and I trust Him. 


No comments:

Post a Comment