Thursday, October 9, 2014

What's your Mission Field?

Recently I heard a rather convicting and profound quote. A man named Ryan, who has been serving in Haiti, said “Being a missionary is really just living the genuine Christian life somewhere else.”

One major thing that the Lord has showed me these past few years is that wherever He has put me is the place that He has ordained to be my mission field. Our typical picture of a mission field would be in the jungles of Africa or some other faraway place with people who have never heard the Gospel and speak a language that we have never heard of. However, a college campus, a work place environment, and just hanging out with friends are all “mission fields.”

Leonard Ravenhill said, “The world out there is not waiting for a new definition of Christianity; it’s waiting for a new demonstration of Christianity.” Some people have heard at least aspects of the Gospel before, especially in the United States. But what would happen if we went into each situation with a “missions” mind-set? Instead of thinking about what I want to get from my time in college, what I need to get done at work, or how much fun I want to have hanging out with a group of friends, what if I instead focused on how I can pour the love of Christ into them? What if I focused on how I can serve them and take the lowest place for them? We would think of doing these things if we went on a mission trip, but many people every day are watching our lives because we profess to be Christians.

“By this shall all men know that you are My disciples, if you have love one to another.” John 13: 35



No comments:

Post a Comment