Friday, November 28, 2014

The Secret to Self-Control

I think it took a while for me to actually understand what “self-control” meant. I guess I knew that it was a good thing to have, but I don’t think I actually got what it truly is. See, growing up I equated self-control to trying really hard, gritting my teeth, and not doing what I really wanted to do because I knew it was wrong or something I shouldn't be doing. However, this never really seemed to work well. Therefore, youth leaders would talk to us about the importance of self-control, but I don’t think we ever really thought of it as more than a nice idea or a virtue that we should esteem.

Once the Lord got a hold of my life during my teenage years, and I was being discipled in Gospel Truth, I began to wonder about this self-control thing. I knew that it is impossible for us to try to live as God calls us to in our own strength and that we must have the impartation of His Spirit to live the lives that He desires. But how did that fit in with self-control? How does me trying to control my fleshly desires correspond with letting Jesus live His life in and through me? I remember just simply pondering this one day then asking my friend what he thought it meant. He said it very simply, but it has always stuck with me.

“Self-control is self being controlled by the Spirit.”

This past week I've been doing a Bible study on the Fruit of the Spirit. As I studied about this term self-control, my friend's definition was proven to be accurate. The Greek word for self-control comes from two root words meaning “in” and the Greek word kratos, meaning power or dominion. The word kratos is used 12 times in the New Testament, and 11 of these times it is used only in terms of Jesus. There are also several words used for power in the New Testament, but this word for power is power that is actually acted out or power that is in use.

Therefore, self-control has a root definition of “being in a power that is acting and put to use.” This means that if we are in Christ, we are in this power. Self-control is simply letting Jesus have our lives to do with as He sees fit and then exercising His authority and almighty power over sin.

So,practically, this would mean that when that temptation arises, instead of trying to combat it with our own willpower or determination, we can reckon upon the fact that we are IN Christ and that we have His power and authority to act on our behalf. So, we can say “no” to the temptation with God’s authority and out of His power.

And this is the secret to the flesh and selfish desires being controlled in our lives. Sure, we’ll give in to selfish desires but only when we choose to not reckon His power and authority over that area or temptation. Jesus Himself will never fail.

Self-control is a fruit of the Spirit. Meaning, it is a product of the Spirit’s work in our lives. The Holy Spirit will produce it in us if we yield to Him.


Oh what a Jesus! 


No comments:

Post a Comment